Sunday, July 15, 2012

4th Grade Summer Reading in Shelfari

At the end of this school year, I released my summer reading list to parents. This year I split the reading list up into three sections, modeled after the colors of ski slope difficulty. So...


parents of children who needed a "novice" fourth grade list received the green list of books


parents of children who were about in the middle received the blue list of books


and the more advanced readers' parents received the black list of books.

But I really wanted to give an alternative, because web pages are slow to build and edit, and I wanted a more dynamic (and quicker) way to add and subtract books. To this end, I dumped all the books in the three above lists into my Shelfari account, but gave each book a tag so that I could create a widget based only on that tag. So, if I wanted a widget of the green book list, the I create a new widget using only the tag I used to denote green books. In this way I can add and subtract books to my Shelfari account, and the widgets will change automatically. It's faster for me, but may not be quite as informative or easy for the parents. I don't know. It's something I'm still playing around with though.

The Green Book List for Fourth Graders



The Blue Book List for Fourth Graders




The Black Book List for Fourth Graders

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...